Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Good Crazy!!!

Don't you absolutely love those blog posts people do where they take a picture of their huge pile of laundry or how all their kids have messy faces by the end of the day, etc. I know those posts hardly exist, but this one is for all you reality lovers!
I am going CRAZY! 1. I will never home school--kudos for everyone that does, but I will not every do it, yet another lesson learned from this whole experience. 2. Bad sign when I looked at Aaron the other night and gasped when I realized I hadn't showered in three days--yikes! 3. Luke's nap time is the only time I am not sitting on the ground with him playing with toys, playing with toys, playing with toys while the others are running, running, running around me!
The list goes on, but remember this is the good kind of crazy--there is such thing. This is the kind of crazy that you constantly remind yourself that things won't stay like this forever and you will appreciate life's little blessings more because of this. One last thing on my list--if the pain in my right rib cage doesn't go away any day now I may just be signing my own contract saying I will never be pregnant again!
And just because:I never know what Adam will be wearing or not wearing I should say. Everyday is a new adventure!
An update on Luke: His strength continues to increase everyday--he is pulling himself up and standing while holding on to the couch, etc. He is climbing up on the couch--which keeps him on my constant radar. He is saying "ball" as he throws a ball. And continues with his normal babbling and waving, etc. He wore hearing aids for a week with no results--they were annoying to get in, but he didn't really touch them once they were in. We did a sound booth test with the audiologist while he was wearing the hearing aids and I may have sustained some ear damage from the noises they put through that thing (i'm joking), but he still did not have any response. This is depressing, but also adds to your assurance that the surgery is the right decision. We will have our final series of testing on Monday to know for sure of how/when to proceed. He is happy and doing really well--his laughs and hugs really do make it all worth it---see, I'm not really crazy!

4 comments:

Mindi B said...

So, Cortney, do they have any idea of how he got Meningitis? His cute little face in that picture just reminds me of my little Landon and how heartbreaking it would be to see him go through so much pain. You are a rock!

cortney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cortney Chambers said...

To answer that question--a lot of people have asked:
The Infectious Disease doctors at PCMC explained to us that it was just a simple infection that could have caused a sinus infection, or strep throat, but instead went straight back. Basically, instead of the infected discharge (snot) coming out of his nose or into his sinuses or down his throat--it went back and traveled through the meninges, which surround your brain and spinal cord.
They said it is a simple bug that is all around us (a pleasant thought!)--grocery store, public places, etc.
Before children are 2, they haven't completely developed what is called the brain barrier, which essentially gives some protection from this happening--that is why you hear about babies/toddlers getting meningitis.
I was really fixated on why and/or how he got it too and finally this doctor said to me, "You need to put this in the same category as one of your children getting into a car accident, it's just completely bad luck."
So, it is completely random, not caused by anything underlying, etc.

melanie said...

adam is so funny. thanks for keeping us updated. i'm glad that you are all doing good.