Sunday, November 8, 2009

The State of the Children....

People have asked me about how the other kids have been through all this. My answer: amazing! Now for real honesty: it has been hard on them, but overall I am really impressed with how they have been.
They have not been back to school and we aren't sending them for a while longer because it is so important that Luke doesn't even get a cold or anything before his surgery, which is scheduled for the first week of December. Also, we need to gather more details on his recovery time, etc.
Julia and Jack made these adorable posters for Luke while he was in the hospital:I don't know if you can see Jack's all the way, but it says things like, "don't let the doctors make him freek (freak) out too much."
Just two nights ago things really hit Jack and he just wanted me to hold him and he just sobbed and told me how much he loved Luke and wondered why he would have to wear "hearing aids" for the rest of his life. It was so sincere and tender--I tried my best to explain everything to Jack, but mostly I told him that it was ok to cry and that it was sad, but it won't be sad forever. My shirt was soaked from his tears and it just made me cry more.
Julia has had similar experiences. She has asked why many times and how she wishes so bad that this would have never happened. They just both love Luke so much and it has been hard to see them sad, but also it's been a good opportunity for us to explain a lot about life, having faith, etc.
While Luke was in the hospital, Julia, Jack and Adam loved staying with grandparents--we are so blessed that our children have two sets of wonderful grandparents that love them so much!
Even though they were missing out on school, sports, etc. they managed to have a lot of fun...And these are the things that just Aaron and I managed to sneak them away for: U football game, visit to Temple Square, a trip to Build-a-Bear. This doesn't even show all the picnics, park visits, shopping, etc. that grandparents spoiled them with!
I know that this is a learning experience for us all, but with that comes a lot of growth. One of many things that brings me peace is that in many ways I feel like this will make my children even closer than they already are--they will love and support Luke through this and he will in turn show them love and inspire them.
By the way, he is doing really well--crawling, and just about sitting up on his own (until he realizes I'm not right there!)

3 comments:

Rob and Mare said...

Oh your kids are so sweet. The way they talked about Luke and their concern while they were at my parents was so cute. They love him so much. And was it Jack who named his build-a-bear after Luke? Too cute.
I'm so glad he's doing okay and crawling. He is such a sweetheart. Thanks for keeping us updated:) I'm sure he's on a lot of peoples minds (including mine). Thanks Cort! Give Luke a big hug for me!

Cari said...

I love the cute posters! How sweet are they? I mean, really? It's so good to hear Luke's getting stronger and stronger every day. What a darling picture of him! Thanks for the updates and give the kids a big hug from me too.

Discovery Preschool said...

i love your family so so much! i think you are right about this bringing your children closer than they already are.. they will understand gratitude and humility even better and those are not always easy attributes to teach kids. thanks for sharing, i am always inspired by your posts.
i love that last pic of luke-he is so happy:)