Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Story of the Parentheses

This picture is of Jack, but this story is about Luke. I love this picture.
The first weekend of August 2008, Luke was given a beautiful blessing from Aaron at church. He was given his name of Luke Newel Chambers, which I love and he was blessed with many wonderful things. Towards the end of the blessing, Aaron said something along the lines of, "you will face physical hardships in your life". I remember making a funny face when I first heard this--a face like what's that supposed to mean, he's perfect, nothing will happen to him. Later on that night, as we were typing up the notes from the blessing I asked Aaron about it. He said that he didn't have any specific reason why he said that, but that it could just mean that he will have to work hard/physical labor, etc. I was somewhat sufficed, yet I still didn't like the thought of my sweet baby Luke dealing with any physical hardship.
With the final draft of the blessing, based on notes taken during the blessing and Aaron's good memory, Aaron typed the now infamous phrase in parentheses next to physical hardship---(not health) to make me feel better.
Life is full of irony and learning. Looking back I realize that it is an absolute ridiculous expectation to think, "I don't want anything to happen to my child"--Anything??? Things happen to us all--it's called living. We are all faced with trials and hardships, some more obvious than others. The deepest among them most likely the most unseen.
Instead the expectation for me has changed to I want my children to face their trials in life with strength, faith and courage based on their testimonies of the Savior and the plan Heavenly Father has for them and also based on their personal confidence in their abilities and the love that their family has for them.
They will each undoubtedly face trials--haven't we all? Yet, this experience has taught me so much about how I want to deal with things that come as a burden and/or hardship to my children--I want those things to make them stronger! I want them to cleave to their testimony, and have a solid level of confidence in who they are and what family they are a part of.
Luke has proven his strength to me already in so many ways, however I know that he will need to continue to be strong throughout his life. Will he have continued hardship? Probably, but nothing that he cannot face and get through with the help of the Lord and his family. Again, the same is true for each of our children and us too.
It's maddening to try to think of everything that may lie ahead, but I do have a sense of peace that there is more joy than sorrow to be had in this life. There is more sweet than bitter. And there is certainly much, much more strength to Luke than hardship.

2 comments:

Shelli Sivert said...

That is such an interesting story. It sounds like something I would do. I always ask Bob about what he meant about this or that in priesthood blessings, but I don't know if he's ever been able to expound on anything after the fact, despite my yearnings. Well, you have wonderful faith and it's inspiring to read about your experiences. (Shelli)

Discovery Preschool said...

i love this post! i think you put that perfectly.. we can't expect that nothing hard will ever happen to our children, but we can expect to teach and guide them how to get through anything! Thanks for sharing your insight.. this will be my new goal! Your kids are lucky to have such a smart mama! oh and i guess a smart dad too:)